The Emotion, Culture, & Psychophysiology Laboratory is an active research and teaching laboratory in the School of Social and Behavioral Sciences within the New College of Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences at Arizona State University.
Questions we address through our research include:
- What is an “adaptive” emotional response?
- What compels us to be more emotionally reactive at one moment over another?
- Why are our emotions so difficult to control?
- What are the consequences of suppressing or avoiding emotions?
With these questions in mind, current studies reflect two primary themes (see research to learn more):
- “Stresses” on the emotion system
- Intersections of culture and emotion
Using an interdisciplinary, multi-method approach, we aim to further scientific knowledge while discovering new ways to promote adaptive emotional functioning for individuals and couples across cultures.